- Why do I need to have references and checks?
- Some of the checks in support of your application include
Why do I need to have references and checks?
References and checks are required because adoption agencies have a responsibility to make sure that adoptive parents do not pose a risk to any children placed with them. Adoption Focus will request references from friends and family of applicants plus relevant information from other sources.
If you have any queries or concerns about reference checks please contact us for confidential advice from our social workers.
Some of the checks in support of your application include
Some of the checks in support of your application include:
- Employers - current employers for all applicants and previous employers where you have worked with children and/or vulnerable adults or if you have either recently or regularly changed jobs
- A report from the local authorities you have lived in during the last ten years
- Written reports of interviews with three personal referees nominated by you – one from a relative and two from people who you know you well. At least one of the referees should have known you for a minimum of five years
- Details and verification of your income and outgoings
- If you have children – a written reference from your child’s school or health visitor
- A written report from your GP about your health, after a full medical examination. Further reports may be sought if you have been receiving treatment for a chronic or acute condition, where a consultant is involved in your care